What a wonderful time of year!
Smiling faces and beautiful music all around us.
Lots and lots of beautiful music.
Preparing for an upcoming concert, memories flow through me of past Christmases.
For over thirty years I was a soloist at my church’s Christmas Eve service. I miss that part of Christmas as it was my way of giving to the church, but choral singing during the Christmas season continues to be a part of my life. Singing in a choir is inspiring any time of year but for me it’s especially inspiring this time of year. Singing and sharing your voice with others spreads a warm, joyous feeling.
As my Christmas gift to you I’d like to share these lovely recordings of music performed by various singers and choirs; music which I enjoyed performing over the years.
1. O Holy Night – Kings College Choir
2. Sweet Little Jesus Boy – Mahalia Jackson
3. Mary Had a Baby – The Nathaniel Dett Chorale
4. Mary Did You Know – Kathleen Battle and Christopher Parkening
5. Gesù Bambino – Kathleen Battle and Frederica von Staad
6. I Will Light Candles This Christmas – St.Olaf Choir
7. Gabriel’s Message – Cambridge Choir
8. Maria Wiegenlied (The Virgin’s Slumber Song) – Genia Kühmeier
9. O Magnum Mysterium – Kings College Choir
10. Ceremony of Carols – the Singers